Théziers
A perched village located between the Rhone valley and the lower Gardon. Théziers is dominated by the robust silhouette of its church. In Roman times this was a strongly fortified village known as TEDUSIA, its name being of Greek origin : THEDIS = construction. The fortifications have since disappeared and in the 1st century a village initially called VOLPILLIERES was founded at the foot of the Castelas (fort) near to the Aramon - Remoulins road which was the trading route towards the Rhone river (port of Aramon). Saint Amant chapel was also built on this road in the 12th century. This pretty village produced silk worms until 1918 and also madder (for red dye). Today the main economic activities are orchards, vines and olive production. The former tile making industry, which was a traditional activity since ancient times, was transferred to Fournès in 1975.
 

Sightseeing:

 

- The streets and fine houses around the church,

- View from the car park below the church,

- Saint Grégoire church (early 12th to 19th centuries) made up of 3 churches, two of which are superposed (outside).

 

 

Don't miss:

 

- Saint Amant chapel (12th century) formerly owned by the St. Victor de Marseille Abbey (outside),

- Annual dedicated mass on the 4th November,

- View of the ruins of the Castelas fort on leaving Théziers towards Fournès,

- The GR42 walk towards Montfrin and Comps or Domazan, Saze and Rochefort du Gard.

- The market.